- Has over 27years of experience (including in the Top management and Board level for last 15 years) in 8 leading industries and 5 leading companies in national and international environment – “Banking (HRD Manager Dena Bank & founding H R Head of IDBI Bank)”, Management Consultancy (as a Principal Consultant in PwC), FMCG, Infrastructure, Medical Equipment ( Head – Corporate HR, Wipro Corporation), Information Technologies (Global HR Head of Wipro Technologies), Retail (President & Chief People Officer of Reliance Retail and Board Member of most of the Reliance Retail Companies), Power(Reliance Solar), Telecom & Digital Services Business (President HR, Reliance Jio Infocomm, Jio Money, Jio e-commerce). Bijay has also experience in not-for-profit social enterprises as Founder Chairman of RASCI( Retail Sector Skills Council which trained 260000 poor children in employability last year), Governing Board Member of Centurion University , Advisor to Vocational School of KIIT & KISS University(which nurtures 22000 poor tribal children from KG to PG ensuring employability), Advisory Board Member of Ramaiah Institute of Management Studies, Bangalore, Asian Institute of Business Management etc. Bijay has also worked in industry bodies like Conference Board as its Chairman of the H R Council for over 5 years, Indian Merchants Chamber as its Management Committee Member & Chairman of Skills Development Committee, Retail Association of India as the Chairman of its H R Council, CII as its National Committee Member of Sector Skills Council and Retail Committee Member.
- Has envisioned & developed Business, Organization, Talent Management and Culture Development Strategies creating experience of a good Corporate Citizen for all its stakeholders.
- Has defined and operationalized People Policies & Practices for Talent Acquisition, Talent Transformation, Performance Management, Rewards Management, Talent Engagement & Leadership Development, Talent Deployment & Productivity Enhancement for large multinational and multi-cultural business enterprises.
- Has provided Business, Organization and HR leadership for 4 “Start-Ups” and also “Rapidly-Growing & Transforming” large global organizations by leading large professional and diverse teams.
- Has hands-on experience in Organization Design & Transformation, Talent Acquisition, Talent Management, Performance & Reward Management, Change management and Leadership Development.
- Has managed complex and large-scale people integration in Mergers & Acquisitions in International environment.
- Has varied experience in Public Sector, Private Sector, Social Sector and Multinational Corporations. Has experience of operating in India and also over-seeing the organization functioning in 35 leading countries in the world including USA, Europe, Australia, Japan, China etc.
- Is respected as a speaker and thought leader in Organization Development, Human Resource and Leadership Development in India and globally. Has been a prominent speaker in many national and international forums of Conference Board, USA; Society for Human Resources Management, USA; Global Equity Organization, USA & Europe; Learning World, Singapore, Siemens Management School, China.
- Currently serves (apart from the day job as President HR of Reliance Industries) as the Founder Chairman of RASCI (NSDC, all Retail Companies and Retail Association promoted not for profit organization to promote skills development), Chairman of Skills Development Committee and Co-Chair of HR Committee and Management Committee members of Indian Merchants Chamber. Earlier Served as an Advisory Board member of SHRM, India, Chairman of H R Council of Conference Board, India and Chairman of HR Committee of Retail Association of India.
Details of the organizations worked for:
President – HR , Reliance Retail, Reliance Solar, Reliance Jio Infocomm
From October 2005
- Bijay is the first employee of Reliance Retail Ltd and appointed as the President and Chief People Officer to head the People function as part of the Central Leadership Team. Reliance is the largest Indian company with over $ 70 Billion Revenue. Reliance Retail is a Wholly Owned subsidiary of Reliance with targeted investment of $5 billion. Currently Reliance Retail has over 2000 stores in 85 cities and towns and over 50000 employees with business nearly USD 3 billion and growing profitably over 35 % per year.
- He has also served as the Board Member of Reliance Hyper, Reliance Fresh(currently named as Reliance Retail(, Reliance Digital, Reliance Trend, Reliance Health & Wellness, Reliance Foot Print, and Reliance Markets.
- Along with the Chairman, Mr Mukesh Ambani & Director Mr Manoj Modi, Bijay envisioned the Retail Business, Organization and People Strategy as a part of the core and start up leadership team.
- Developed Talent Management & Leadership Development Strategies and put together the leadership teams to build the foundation of Reliance Retail group of companies.
- Defined HR Policies and Processes for Recruiting, Training and Deploying over 50000 people including expatriates from USA, Europe, South Africa, Thailand, Singapore, Australia and China.
- Led the development of HRIS architecture and implementation of SAP HR.
- Built a strong HR team to build and scale up the organization.
- Built a HR shared services company to handle the transactions in regard to recruitment, training, pay-roll processing and regulatory compliances.
- Provided leadership in hiring 10 chief executives for 10 businesses, 10 functional heads for 10 key functions, 60 Expats as subject matter experts, 5000 managers for operations and functions at various levels, over 40000 store associates for over 2000 operating stores.
- From April 2008, Reliance assigned Bijay the additional responsibilities of building up the leadership team for startups in power sector – Reliance Solar and Power.
- Since April 2010, Bijay has been assigned the responsibility of setting up the leadership team and providing leadership for the Human Resource Management in a new mega start up ie Reliance Jio Infocomm, which is rolling out nationwide 4G LTE Wireless and FTTH based Broadband and Digital Services. Bijay has been working directly with the Chairman Mr Mukesh Ambani to build this organization from the scratch while providing HR leadership to other consumer, technologies, media and ecommerce businesses. This is a US $ 14 billion dollar investment. Apart from designing organization and defining people policies , Bijay has put together 10000 professional from India and abroad for this business, which is about to be commissioned during this year.
Vice President & Global Head – HR
June 2000 to October 2005
- Joined Wipro Corporation as Head Corporate H R. Wipro Corporation businesses included Wipro Technologies, Wipro Infrastructure, Wipro Consumer Care & Lighting & Wipro GE Medical Systems.
- Wipro Technologies was a medium-size Software Development Company with over $ 300 mln revenue and an inspirational plan of growing to top ten IT Companies of the World. Worked as a part of the Central Leadership team under the overall leadership of Mr Vivek Paul, CEO and Mr Azim Premji, Chairman and participated in the Wipro’s growth journey from a mid-size IT company to a Global Leader in IT services, BPO and Consulting company with over 60000 employees globally operating in over 35 countries. Had familiarization and a side view of Azim Premji foundation Trust while working in Wipro.
- As the HR Head of Wipro Technologies, Bijay participated (and led in the Leadership and people Transformation areas) in Transformation, Change Management and Scaling up of Wipro from a Medium Size IT Organization to a large and respected “Consulting, Program Management & IT Services” Global leader offering full range of Consulting, IT & ITES Services to Fortune 500 clients. Wipro profitably grew fastest during the period, expanding the business from 3 countries to almost over 35 countries; and the revenue grew from US $ 300 mln to US $ 3 bln expanding the breadth and increasing the depth of the services substantially.
- His responsibilities included Designing the Organization Architecture for Growth, Defining HR Strategies & Policies for the International environment, Building a global HR and leadership team, Developing a strong HR Shared Services organization and Developing Leaders globally for the transformation and change management for rapid scaling up of the organization through organic & Inorganic Growth.
- Managed multiple M&A globally for the expansion of Wipro.
- Was appointed as a Board Member for Wipro BPO.
PricewaterhouseCoopers(PwC Management Consulting (Later became part of IBM Management Consulting)
Principal Consultant & Leader for HR Consulting Practice in India and South Asia.
May1998 to June 2000
- Joined Coopers & Lybrand Management Consulting to set up and run its HR Consulting practice in India. Was appointed the National Champion of Merger and Talent Assimilation for Price Waterhouse and Coopers & Lybrand, in India. Bijay was promoted and appointed Principal to lead the HR Consulting practice of PwC, Management Consulting Division.
- His consulting expertise and offerings included Organization Design, HR Strategies, HR Processes, Change Management, HRIS Consulting and Implementation for Indian and International corporations.
- He was responsible for: a. developing a strong Consulting Team, b. Developing Consulting Methodologies in the context of Indian clients, C. Developing Loyal Clients and growing the HR Consulting business in India; D. Being Responsible for Practice P&L.
- Bijay Served many national and international corporations as client partner and provided them with cutting edge HR solutions to business ranging from strategy, processes and Information Technologies.
- From PwC Management Consulting Services (which was taken over by IBM subsequently), Bijay joined Wipro when it was aiming to transform itself to a full-fledged IT services and Consulting Company globally.
Head HR, IDBI Bank February 1996 – May 1998
- Joined among the first 5 Leaders and as the founder HR Head of IDBI Bank, a modern private sector commercial bank, which was being promoted post liberalization by Industrial Development Bank of India, the largest developmental financial institution of the country, with the help of KPMG Consulting.
- Worked with KPMG experts for envisioning the organization and developing the enterprise and people management strategies, systems and processes.
- Implemented the organization strategy, built the HR team, and developed the business Leadership team, managerial team and the operating teams. Participated in opening the first branch within 3 months of joining and there after scaled up by opening multiple branches every month. The bank grew to a medium size bank with all India presence.
While enjoying the growth and scaling up operation of IDBI Bank, Coopers & Lybrand invited Bijay to lead their HR consulting practice in India. Got an opportunity to leverage IDBI Bank learning and also to gain consulting experience.
Oct 1989 – Jan 1996
- Joined as the Personnel officer and got promoted to HRD Manager in the corporate HR Function of Dena Bank. Got opportunities for strong HR operations experience in the areas of Industrial Relations, Personnel Management and Human Resources Development.
- In 1990, post liberalization of banking industry in India, World Bank had selected Dena Bank as a transformational project for giving financial and capabilities-building support. Got an opportunity to be part of Dena Bank Transformation Team working closely with World Bank experts for Developing HR Strategies, Defining HR Processes, and Building competencies development framework in the areas of Credit, Investment Banking, Foreign Exchange Management, Human Resource Development, IT Strategy and Change Management.
- Developed very good experience of implementing the transformation strategies and processes of Dena Bank under the guidance of World Bank and Dena Bank leadership team in the corporate office.
- Before Dena Bank, after Post Graduation in Personnel Management & Labour Welfare, worked in a consulting company, which was working closely with the World Bank for its project implementations in India. Worked under the direct guidance of a Senior Social Scientists and Economists which enabled bijay in creating intellectual curiosity with social empathy early in his career, which helped him substantially later.
Education: Has a First class Academic Career
- Post Graduate in Personnel Management: 1985 – 1987 with First class
- Economics Honors and Mathematical Statistics Graduate with First Class and Distinction
- Certified Associate of Indian Institute of Bankers(I)
- Trained in India and abroad in most of the modern management methodologies
- Six Sigma Black Belt
Contribution to the Profession and Society
- Has been a regular speaker in many national and international forums of Conference Board, USA; Society for Human Resources Management, USA; Global Equity Organization, USA & Europe; Learning World, Singapore & Hong Kong, Siemens Management School, China.
- Currently a member of BRICS Business Council Working Group as a Skill Development Expert
- Served 5 years as Chair Person of Conference Board’s H R Council India and as Chairman of HR Committee of RAI.
- Currently Chairman of RASCI; Chairman of Skills Development Council and Co-Chairman of H R Council of Indian Merchants Chamber.
- Advisory Board Member of SHRM, India, Advisory Board Member of Global Equity Organization, Washington.
- Very Active Participant in Many Industry Forums and Govt initiatives as a Thought Leader in H R and Skills Development initiatives for employability in the country.
- Very active participant in some of the social service activities including having his own small charitable fund working in a small way with some of the poor and needy families in the area of “Education, Employment and Empowerment”.
AGE: 48 year old